jamesworrad.blogspot.com

Tuesday 24 February 2015

'Flawless' Goes To CERN!!!



This just in from Badshoes Films:

We are immensely proud to announce 'Flawless' will screen as part of the official competition selection at the home of the Large Hadron Collider, CERN in Switzerland as part of their 5th film festival, CineGlobe 2015. Here's the website for details.


Well, as one of the scriptwriters of that short, along with Lucy Wade, I have to say I'm pretty chuffed with that result. FREAKIN' CERN, DUDE!!! WHERE THE GOD PARTICLE HANGS OUT!!!!
The Cineglobe Festival's theme this year: 
"...embraces the meeting of minds, methods and meaning of our times. It marks the reunion of science and art, technology and personal expression, research and creativity as the 21st century witnesses a new renaissance as artists and scientists venture beyond their areas of specialty to bridge science and art."
 As you may imagine, out of all this film's nominations thus far this has to be the most personally rewarding:  the intersection of art and science is pretty much what being an SF scribbler is all about. Which is not to knock all the other noms (plus, ahem, one 'film of the year' award), just, well... FREAKIN' CERN, DUDE. FREAKIN' HADRON COLLIDER AND STUFF!

(Apparently the winning short gets fired at near-light speed in order to discover the mysterious 'Ebert Particle')

I'm immensely lucky to have stumbled my way into independent films. I never planned to and I never thought I'd get to work so closely with so many talented people (Short stories and novels are, let's be fair, a pretty lonely experience, fun and rewarding as they are). Probably the biggest difference is all the meetings, which are both fun and fraught and where ideas are thrown into a metaphorical Hadron Collider to see what happens. A writer can't be precious in that environment and, if they aren't, they will be rewarded with strange bright chimera ideas, one's they could never have dreamed up alone.

If you possibly can, give it a go. I imagine most large cities have some kind of independent film scene and very often there aren't many people totally devoted to scripts. The tendency seems to be toward writer-directors and that's a brain surgeon/rocket scientist gig. I know I certainly couldn't direct (But here's a guy who can talking about it: our own director Keith Allott).

I'll report back here to let you know how we got on. When Flawless finally becomes available to watch (which isn't currently possible due to the whole festival submission thing I'm afraid) I'll link to it here to.